Skip to main content

Solemn Anniversary

In keeping with the solemnity of the day, 9/11, I'm going to chronicle my progression with ALS, my personal 9/11.

September 11, 2012, three years ago today, I was diagnosed with ALS. I'm not special or remarkable in any way, I am average.  I'm not a celebrity, sports hero, astrophysicist, best-selling author, doctor, lawyer, nor anybody of note. I am a wife, a mother, an aunt, a niece, a sister, a daughter, grand-dog grandma, and a friend. I was an employee, an accountant, a late-in-life college graduate, an adventurer, a Harley rider, a photographer, a knitter, a crafter, a writer, a hack, a house-painter, a gardener, amateur birder, a hiker, a cook, a traveler, a lawnmower, a pet parent, a dancer, a foodie, a Starbuck's enthusiast, and a gadget geek. 

My ALS diagnosis was a complete and utter shock. Though I struggled to not allow ALS to change my life, ultimately, it changed everything. At this point in time, ALS always wins though we fight the valiant fight. Although I was healthy my whole life, never breaking a bone, my only surgeries, a tonsilectomy in the 70's and a c-section in the 80's, I end up with ALS.

Today, my newest symptom (or manifestation) is fasciculations in or around my heart. Troubling. I continue to have increasing fasciculations...everywhere...my eye, nose and lip quiver and lift as if by an invisible thread. Larger muscle spasms are also on the increase, sometimes temporarily locking my jaw, neck, feet, toes, and fingers.My hands have been paralyzed for a long time; so, I ask you why does my middle finger on my right hand come to life and give the world the anti-finger?!

I'm still eating solid foods but have to be highly selective, avoiding mixed textures, dry foods, large bites. That's the same but my diet was officially downgraded. I avoid drinking by mouth, opting for toothette swabs soaked in water to moisten my mouth; I barely use my nifty gravity cup anymore.  Digestion is a crap shoot, sometimes, literally. There is no status quo.

Breathing is interesting. When I slide down in bed, my breathing labours. Upon awakening, my whole body spasms from head to toes, particularly, my chest and diaphragm. I gasp and struggle to regain a regular pace. Also, troubling.

My Permobile M300 wheelchair got outfitted with head controls since my left hand and arm gave up the ghost. After all my duck-to-water modifications, this one's a lulu! This is difficult to adjust to. Finding the different controls is just not intuitive and requires too much caregiver intervention. I got mine two days before my 2 and 1\2-mile #2015WalktoDefeatALS and I had to leave the driving to my husband.

Due to the lack of a navigable chair and lack of staff qualified to transfer me, I spend days in my bed. Not really my idea of life. Thank goodness my room is so pleasant and my husband visits. I'm also getting more friend visits and my daughter still visits often. So grateful for that!

Medications are still minimal but I've been forced to use morphine and oxycodone for breakout pain events only. I drive the nurses crazy refusing pain meds in favor of non-chemical soothers; range of motion, massage, ice, heat, repositioning, and MSM cream. I have had to resort to laxatives, stool softeners, and suppositories. Oh my!

I'm silently contemplating  tracheotomy and ventilation as a means of extending my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...