Skip to main content

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is my birthday--another milestone met--another year of birth anniversary. I didn't expect much of a celebration this year and that was fine by me. I tire easily and can't bear up under the social expectations of others. Smiles and efforts to speak, with or without my speech generating device, taxes my energy--quickly.

After a lifetime of acquiring stuff, I need nothing anymore; you cannot take it with you and I live in hospice where I live my life in a room. I'm pretty happy to have a delicious morsel that I can manage to eat despite my mouth, tongue, and throat weaknesses. Tonight was delectable and tender Lamb Curry, individual-size banana splits, chocolate mousse, and cupcakes.

My mother and sister, Renee, surprised me with a visit complete with gorgeous fall flowers, gourmet cupcakes, a gift of audiobooks (my favorite kind) and their time, despite health challenges. My husband showed up while they were here, helping to carry the conversation, thus I did not overtire.

Throughout the day, caregivers dropped by to drop "Happy Birthday" wishes upon me. I got an extra bit of pampering today when my massage and physical therapists overlapped giving me double bliss. I highly recommend double bliss!

What a wonderful way to spend my birthday. Adding happy to my birthday was the helpful and loving presence of my husband, Rod. Feeding me all the goodies, showing up with more cupcakes, nightgowns, unboxing my package from my daughter, (an earphone headband), reading cards, downloading audiobooks, and watching movies with me. Oh, and placing long-distance calls to relatives who wished to speak to me on my birthday.

What a day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...