Skip to main content

How To Change My Brief

As I mentioned previously, I use this blog for many reasons; today, I need to communicate with my caregivers. If you get something meaningful out of this so much the better.

First, you should know that my ability to breathe properly depends upon you. My muscles don't work well. The diaphragm is a major muscle necessary for breathing, and positioning and arm support is essential. The effects of gravity upon my ALS-ravaged body squeezes air from my lungs while the diaphragm struggles to lift and bring new air in. Therefore, whenever upright, my upper body and arms must be supported.

Equally important, is not expending energy and breath answering unnecessary questions or by relying on patient to provide instruction. Please learn my routine and read all care plan updates.

  1. "Head down". Lean bed down until approximately 45-degrees.  (DO NOT remove pillows beforehand.) 
  2. Remove pillows supporting the arms. 
  3. Lower bed completely, watching for signs of respiratory distress in the form of agitation, attempts at speech, audible labored breathing. 
  4. Place legs in frog pose, holding feet underneath. 
  5. Unfasten brief and clean peri area using baby wipes. (white package) Open labia to gently wipe clean.
  6. Turn patient in the following manner: Direction doesn't matter. Arm straight out 90-degrees. Other arm placed lightly upon my stomach. Ankles crossed same direction. 
  7. Remove pillow supporting the neck. 
  8. Immediately, roll to the side and hold lightly at 90-degrees. (Less or more forces air out rather than provides respite.) 
  9. Clean patient as required. Apply ointment, if patient consents. 
  10. Repeat 6 as above. Don't stop patient atop rolled up sheets, pads, slings, etc. as it is painful. 
  11. Fasten new brief tapering around patient legs; Be mindful to not pull pubic hair and avoid "wedgies". 
  12. Cross patient's hands on stomach (avoiding PEG tube) and slide patient up to headboard. (Achieving proper positioning is key for breathing support) 
  13. Place neck pillow under patient's neck. 
  14. "Head up". Raise head of bed back to 45-degrees.
  15. Place pillows supporting arms as follows: Use 2 pillows per side (flat on bottom, fluffy "stepped" on top). Make certain they remain level to prevent pooling edema in hands. Note: If going to sleep, use one fluffy pillow per side. 
Reprinted 9/23/15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?