Skip to main content

Support Group Nite

ALS Association meeting every third Wednesday night of the month is the port in the storm that is ALS. I've been attending these sanity-saving gatherings since my diagnosis in 2012.

Throughout the years I've been in these get togethers, meeting people with ALS, their families, and their caregivers, I fail to understand the PALS who don't tap into this valuable and free resource. .Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging. To each, their own. I just do not understand.

Oh, I understand the fear of the unknown. The fear of looking "the beast right in the eye".  If you're anything like me, you never knew what ALS was, let alone met somebody with ALS.  If you're anything like me, you never knew what ALS was, let alone met somebody with ALS. Or you associate ALS with Stephen Hawking and God knows, you don't look forward to looking like him! Sorry Stephen. I'm no prize anymore, either.

But, what I get is invaluable...Understanding. I get this in no other place. Access to resources. Needless to say, I've never had ALS before. So, why wouldn't I tap into a source of accumulated wisdom from people who have been there or are there? And, hope. Yes, hope! ALS may not have a cure but, members are the first to say, 'yet'. They are plugged into the latest intel on this horrendous disease; research, medical trials, and debunking myths and scams.

And maybe, just maybe, you'll make some beautiful friendships along the way. I found family and friends couldn't always handle the grim realities of the disease and pulled away. Sometimes, I only had fellow PALS and CALS to support me. This, I never would've guessed.


*PALS (People with ALS)
*CALS (Caregivers of people with ALS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?